The Romagnolo Family

The Romagnolo Family

Monday, August 15, 2016

The Road To My First Half Marathon: The Mental Training

Running is just as much mental as it is physical.  This past Saturday I had to give myself a major “pep talk” during my run.  You see, I want to be a fast runner like some of my running heroes.  I want to be able to run a 5K in 30 minutes or less.  My friend Angie can do that.  I want to be like Angie.  Going into my run on Saturday I was feeling a little discouraged.  So many of my women running heroes are thinner and faster than me.  I have been working since January of 2015 to get to my goal weight.  I am about 10-15 pounds away from that goal.  Seriously y’all.  I LOVE food!  Some people drink their calories.  I EAT them!!!  I also eat my emotions and my boredom.  The struggle is REAL!!!  Can I get an “Amen?”



During my run I had to remind myself just how far I’ve come.  It was only 8 months ago that I started running.  Some of my running heroes are taller than me.  Their legs are going to take them farther and faster.  I’m 5’4”.  Okay, 5’3 and ¾”.  J  My legs might not get there as fast.  I have consistently brought my 5K time down with each race that I do though.  THAT is what I need to remind myself, not who is faster or better than me.  Listening to the lies from the devil that I’m not thin enough or fast enough is counter-productive.  My focus should be to keep taking this journey one day at a time and not comparing myself to others.  During my run this past Saturday, I had to remind myself that it’s about finishing and finishing strong, not necessarily the fastest.  If I worry about who is faster than me, than I won’t enjoy this journey.  I don’t want to miss out on the fun.  I’m going to keep with my training and still strive to be better, but I’m not going to let it consume me.  I will finish and I will finish strong.  Have you heard this song from Katy Perry?  Listen to the words.  I love it! 
I might cry too!  J  These will be my “gold” medals too!




No matter what life throws you, keep pressing on.  Get back up and push forward.  Don’t just survive!

No comments:

Post a Comment