The Romagnolo Family

The Romagnolo Family

Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Training For My 6th Half Marathon

     Training For My 6th Half Marathon...Wow!  I look at that title and I can't believe it.  One year ago I ran my first half marathon at the Plano Balloon Festival.  You can read that recap here.  In two weeks, I will be running that same race for the 2nd time.  I can't believe that it's been a whole year and that this will be my 6th half marathon.
     Training for this half marathon looked a lot different than it did this time last year.  One reason it was different was that we were only home for about two weeks during the summer.  While I did make sure to go running in the mornings when we were visiting family and friends, I didn't push for long mileage and there were stretches of one week and then two weeks where I did NO exercise/running, but did A LOT of eating (Hello Disney and extra pounds).  😏  The extra weight and lack of mileage really hindered my training.  In the spring, I had gotten my pace just under 11 minutes, somewhere in the high 10 minute range.  Now, I am back to a 12/13 minute mile pace.  To say that I have been frustrated is an understatement.  I've been mad and disappointed in myself.  I also have not been enjoying the training this time around.  I'm running 4 times a week. One day I'm running/walking hills on the treadmill.  Another day I'm doing speed training.  The third day I'm just running for 45 minutes.  The fourth day I'm doing my long runs.  Those are the days that I've been dreading the most.  I'm almost dreading running this next half marathon.  I'm just not excited to run 13.1miles.  That is A LOT of running y'all!!
     I was going to run 10 miles this past Sunday morning before church.  I was dreading it.  I'm tired.  This hasn't been fun.  I have the utmost respect to all of you that train for and run marathons.  You are my heroes!  On Saturday morning (in the midst of mini melt downs) I reminded myself that Jeff Galloway alternates weeks with long runs and then shorter runs in his training programs.  I haven't been doing that because I had gotten so far behind with my training this summer.  I decided (& was encouraged by my sweet friends) to just get out there and run and do what I felt was good.  I ran 11.5 miles last week, so I'm ready physically for the half in two weeks.  So, I got out there and ran 4.7 miles.
     I started getting a little more excited about this year's race though after I went to pick up our race packets on Sunday afternoon.  This year they are offering the "Sky High Challenge".  If you sign up for this, you will run the 5K on Saturday and the Half Marathon on Sunday.  I did this last year, but this year with the challenge you get 3 medals instead of 2.  It's ALL about the bling, am I right?  Check this out:

5K Finisher Medal

Half Marathon Finisher Medal

Sky High Challenge Medal
I sent a picture to my sweet friend Wanda and I convinced her to change from just doing the half to doing the Challenge.  Woo-hoo!  On top of that, I have registered my 7 year old to do the 5K with me.  This will be her second 5K.  She is super excited to get the medal.  Her 8 year old sister is super excited to be on the sidelines cheering!  😃   Hey, cheerleaders are important too!  I was undecided as to whether I was going to sign Lyla up for the 5K because it's been so hot out.  Luckily, it has started to cool off a little.  We went for a training run/walk this past Saturday.  We did 2 miles and she did great!   We tried this in June of 2016 and it didn't go too well.  Now that she is a little older, it has gotten a little easier for her.  She has also had several 1K's and 1 mile runDisney races under her belt since that first 5K in June of 2016.  I am so excited to share this with her.
     So, will I PR this half marathon?  Probably not.  I need to remind myself that I won't PR every race.  I remember the Plano Balloon Festival Half Marathon being a really fun and good race last year.  I want to enjoy this race.  I get to run it with a sweet friend and I will also have the cutest cheerleaders waiting for me at the finish!  Let's not forget that ALL of the bling will be mine too!  I run because I CAN, for the race experience and once again the medals are SO addicting (am I right Wanda?)!
     Stay tuned for more updates on the Plano Balloon Festival Races!!

No comments:

Post a Comment