The Romagnolo Family

The Romagnolo Family

Thursday, February 8, 2018

Who Is Your Hero?

We will have someone that we idolize and look up to.  Who is your "hero?"  I'll tell you who mine are.  They are these two...


Yep, that's right.  My heroes are my children.  Don't let this picture fool you.  Like all children, they aren't perfect.  There many days where I am either putting myself in timeout to calm down, thinking that God has a sense of humor or just crying in frustration.  If you are a parent, I'm pretty sure that you've felt those emotions too.  😂

This past week, I had to advocate for one of my daughters at school.  This sweet child has ADHD.  Even though I've been a teacher for 21 years, until one of my own children was diagnosed with it, I didn't really understand just what those with ADHD go through.  I found this article that describes what ADHD is like.  She struggles with impulsivity.  She struggles with feeling defeated because she makes bad choices.  As God has been teaching me about parenting with grace, I'm learning that she needs me to speak more words of love and encouragement into her life.  Not only does my sweet girl deal with ADHD every day, but she has overcome so much in her short life.  Both her and her sister have.  They have overcome so much more than many of us ever will in our lives and they are only 7 and 8 years old.  If you ever read this post, you know that I did not give birth to my sweet daughters. They were 6 months and 16 months when we first met.  If you are a parent, you know that the first 2 years are critical in forming emotions in a child's life.  I won't share my girls history, because it's their story.  I will say that while we all have dysfunction in our families, many of us are blessed to have the childhoods that we had.  It is a complete miracle that my girls are the way that they are.  These precious girls are overcomers.  They are sweet and strong.  They are my heroes!

I know that we still have many interesting years ahead of us (hello, teen years! 😂 ).  I am praying that I can help my girls navigate through any obstacles that may come their way.  I was also reminded this week as I gave some insight of just all that my daughter has overcome, that you have to advocate for your children and make sure that people see the whole picture.  This morning, my devotion reminded me about labeling ourselves and others.  God is chiseling us into His masterpiece.  Instead of labeling our children, let's point them to the one that loves them more than we ever will.  He is going to finish the good work that He has started (Phil. 1:6). 

So, now you know why my children are my heroes.  Who are you heroes? 





2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete